Friday 13 January 2012

ABR takes on Elephant for charity...


John with his Honda Transalp
Our very own John McLain was featured in Adventure Bike Rider Magazine, the article is about his charity bike ride...

An ex-military ABR, who left the forces due to injury, is doing the Elephant Rally solo, to raise money for Help For Heroes.

40-year-old John Mclain (no, not that one!) is planning to tackle the gruelling Bavarian rally on a Honda Transalp, which will see him cover 3,000 in eight days in the depths of winter, to raise a target £5,000 for the charity.

I’m a very lucky boy,” says John, sales manager at Phoenix Honda, Grangemouth. “I was injured on duty in N.Ireland, but after a few operations on my hands and leg, I’m fully fit and I’ve still got all my digits."

"Me and my best mate from the military were originally planning to do the Elephant together, but he’s now injured and will be in rehab until the end of January, so I thought why not do the ride for charity? Help For Heroes seems a fitting choice under the circumstances.

The Transalp Set for the off
John’s journey will take him from his home in Scotland on 25 January through the UK, France, Germany and the Bavarian Alps to reach the Elephant Rally in
Thurmansbang, East Germany, on 27 January, where he plans to camp in sub-zero conditions before departing for the three-day trip home. And just like his namesake, John, aka ‘Yippy’, is well prepared.

I’ve been fully trained in Artic conditions, and have been fortunate enough to try all my kit in the worst of the Scottish weather,” he explains. “I’ll also be taking the new adventure range of clothing from RST, SIDI adventure boots, and the good old Alpinestar Apex gloves, plus a Snug Bug heated jacket, and an Arctic sleeping bag!

It’s not all cold comfort for John though. “I’m looking forward to taking my time and enjoying the experience,” he says. “My friends and family all think I’m nuts! But that’s because they don’t have any adventure in them.

Unlike us lot, eh? To sponsor John got to http://www.bmycharity.com/johnmclain

Also, please remember to "Like" Phoenix on Facebook, and follow what the Motorcycle side is up to on Twitter

If you've found this post interesting please use the Facebook, Twitter and other Share buttons to pass it on to your on-line community, there's a good chance they will find it interesting too. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment